Recently, I was brainstorming a bit, as I examined myself trying to identify signs that I am either just familiar with God or I am truly enjoying an intimate relationship with him.
Signs of familiarity
- Trusting him now then doubting again
- Refusing to take that step of faith
- Allowing fear to control my actions
- Thinking I can spend time with him later
- Asking his forgiveness for the same sin over and over
Signs of Intimacy
- True repentance when I do wrong.
- Spending time with him because I look forward to it and desperately want to do so.
- Missing my personal quiet time with God when it does not happen
- Submitting to his wisdom and guidance and making sound decisions as a result
- Experiencing worship that is deep, that takes me away from the cares of the world and my current circumstances.
- Entering into his glory where my body and mind is renewed and I break out in adoration and tears, as I think about all the great things about his Character and how valuable I am to him.
If you were to do this assessment, which category would you find yourself?